Wednesday 13 July 2011

Using Black and White

We were asked to produce a line visual around one these four words: Sea, Extraordinary, Building or Journey.
I felt that 'Sea' would be the easiest topic for me, and as at present I lack technical skill, I went with this.

After some thought, I began thinking about a place that I spent a lot of time. I also had some recent photographs of sunsets over the sea that I thought would be nice to work with.

North Devon June 2011.





I then opted to change the images to black and white to make it easier for me to work from.



I messed around a bit with the contrast and brightness within photoshop to try and make the black and white stand out from eachother.

After producing my first line drawing, and first tonal, I felt that the image needed something more. Although there is no boat in the photograph, small fishing boats are strongly associated with Devon and Cornwall, so I went through my archive of photographs hoping to find some from Clovelly. I couldn't find a photograph so had to settle with some moats from Mylor Bridge near Falmouth, Cornwall.













Some illustrators work that I would describe as graphic.



both these images are by the illustrator Jasper Goodhall.



These three images are by Heath Robinson courtest of www.nocloo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment