Wednesday 13 July 2011

Feedback on assignment 1.

I had some really helpful feedback from my tutor. Although the work I have so far produced has been disappointing to me, I didn't feel all was lost from my feedback!
What I have taken away, is that I haven't done any drawing, painting etc since I was a child. Yes, some people do have a 'natural' talent, many people develop their drawings/illustrations through practice, practice and more practice. With hindsight, I may have been better to start with a drawing course with OCA, but illustration was something that I had wanted to pursue, and had more interest in.
I was pleased to have to do an objective drawing, as whilst studying fashion, technical drawings were the only time I got to do any kind of drawing. I feel reasonably happy with the drawing of the 'Jimmy Choo' shoe, which has helped me to build a little confidence.
I do feel that there is some improvement to my work, and I hope by the end of the course I will have produced something that I am happy with. It's also a challenge not to try and compare myself to others, as when I do I see how far I have to go!
Onwards and upwards - rome wasn't built in a day!

I was encouraged to look at the following artists work; Gina Triplett, Jasper Goodhall,  Bill Donovan and Paul Block.

Gina Triplett: SmokinMermaids

I really love this image, there is a lot going on, but the women remind me of 1950s and 60s comic books. They are very stylised, and the odd flash of colour really draws the eye to sections highlighted.
Gina Triplett is an American illustrator based in Philadelphia PA. Her work has been published in several anthologies including The Picture Book, and Illustration Now.

Jasper Goodhall

I wasn't quite as keen on the work of Jasper Goodhall, but I love the crisp clean lines in this image. The images are perhaps stronger than much of the illustrations I like. It's bold, strong and a little harsh. I like the monochrome featured in both his and Gina Tripletts designs, which also includes that splash of colour to catch the eye.
Jasper is a British illustrator, who is also a lecturer of illustration at Brighton University.


Bill Donovan

I absolutely love the work of Bill Donovan. His work is simplistic, soft, elegant, chic - everything that I love in an artist. I can't put into words how fabulous I think his designs are. I'm not the only one, with Donovan completing work for Christian Dior, Mercedes Benz, Estee Lauder to name just a few.


Paul Block

I love the fluidity and simplicity on Paul Blocks work. It does seem a little more dated than that of Bill Donovan. I also like the sketch like roughness, that still manages to create a finished looking image.

I've really enjoyed looking at the work of these illustrators, they have been very inspiring and exciting to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment