Tuesday 19 July 2011

Choosing content

After reading the section from....     the words that jumped out at me as 'keywords' were;

Large and empty
Middle aged man
Neutrality of surroundings
Spring sunshine turned bleak
Tall uncurtained windows
Large windows
Parallelogram of light/massive shaft of shadow
New Scotland Yard
Wartime London
Fixed contraction on brow
Burst of deepening anger

The first question posed to us was, if this passage of text were to be made into a film, what would the main character be like.
The first thing that came to mind, was the film and comic book character 'Marv, from 'Sin City' by Frank Miller.


'Marv' played by Micky Rourke in the film 'Sin City'.


The images are a little too 'hard' for the character from the text, but I like the darkness and moodiness of 'Marv', so these will be going onto my moodboard.

What furniture would have been in the office of a man working in New Scotland Yard in the 1940s. I found a photograph of a lovely Siemen's Bakelite telephone circa 1940.





pencil sketch of bakelite phone

I like the effect of changing the contrast on the scan. Perhaps using a sepia coloured paper would achieve this in the final illustration?

With 'Sin City' still in mind, I like the feeling that using red provokes. It feels angry and oppressive. Referencing Sin City again for its use of black and white with the use of occasional colours, usually red for its dramatic effect.

I ended up creating this image, using the book 'The 1940's look' for inspiration. I paid particular attention to the style of dress, and style of glasses available at the time. After completing the image, I realised I had wandered away from the brief, and depicted the scene being in the evening. I felt that a night sky was the only way that I could show 'wartime Britain'. I do think that if this had been a brief for a client, this may not have been acceptable. I found the subject difficult, as I had never drawn a man before, and kept drawing very feminine looking men! Overall, I'm happy, as I feel that my drawings are progressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment