Friday 17 June 2011

Using reference

We were asked to make an illustration of someone sitting in a chair surrounded by items that typified the 1950's. This was to give a teenager an idea of the era.

First I looked at some 1950s wall decor.

Newgate pluto clock
source: www.retrotogo.com



Some iconic 1950's flying ducks.

Source: www.virtualvintageclothing.co.uk

In the 1950s alot of people in Britain were still burning coal fires. As a fireplace would still have been a focal point in the living room, I wanted to try and portray a piece of the era.



Then it was time to look at the style and dress of the time. I felt more familiar with drawing a woman, so I looked more at womens dress. Peter pan collars, and full calf length skirts were popular at the time.


and




Finally, the final image. I found this to be a very difficult project. I have never drawn or painted something of this nature. Although I am not happy with the final outcome, I do feel it was a good learning experience, and I am constantly learning more and more skills.

A4 Watercolours and ink on watercolour paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment